I Hope You Never Have To Use These Tips
I really do hope you never have to use this information. But if you are in an accident these are the 7 rules to follow because it could save your life.
- Stop your vehicle and stay calm. Take a deep breath.
- Do not obstruct traffic. If you can and it is safe, move your car to a safe place. Maybe off to the shoulder of the road or a parking lot near by, but only if you can do this safely.
- Check on others involved in the accident. The other driver, passengers and or pedestrians. Call 911 if anyone is hurt. Call every 5 minutes until the police arrive. Assist the injured the best you can, but do no harm.
- Gather information:
- Make and model of other cars
- Drivers names and passengers names
- License plate numbers
- Insurance information
- Contact information for any eyewitnesses
- Location of the accident
- Name and badge numbers of any responding police officers.
- Use your phone camera to document the accident scene.
- Remain calm and courteous. Don’t accept any claim settlement at the scene of an accident. Remain consistent with your version of the accident. Cooperate fully with the police but avoid admitting fault or blaming others at the scene of the accident.
- Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible.
Most of all, please do not get into an accident. Drive defensively. Look out for the other guy and stay safe.